A new Chicago ordinance means changes to local anti-harassment requirements, including additional training requirements. Active Ethena learners located in the state of Illinois will be assigned additional training on January 1, 2023* to ensure assigned training meets these new standards.
Check out the answers to some FAQs below, and please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need additional information.
(*Note that if 1/1/23 falls within your organization’s deferral period, this content will be assigned to learners on your next annual training date - see more details below).
What are the new training requirements?
With the amendment to Chicago’s sexual harassment laws, Chicago employers must now provide the following annually:
- One hour of sexual harassment prevention for all employees (2 hours for supervisors/managers)
- One hour of bystander training for all employees
How will Ethena’s training meet these requirements?
Beginning on January 1, 2023*, Illinois learners who are enrolled in recurring core learning for the Harassment Prevention course will be assigned additional modules to meet the above requirements. (*Note that if 1/1/23 falls within your organization’s deferral period, this content will be assigned to learners on your next annual training date - see more details below).
More specifically, IL individual contributors will be assigned an additional 75 minutes. Managers will be assigned an additional 135 minutes.
After January 1, 2023, any new Illinois learners who are added to the platform will be assigned 2 hours of training if they are an individual contributor and 3 hours of training if they are a manager to meet the above requirements.
Is there an additional cost associated with this training?
Nope! Provided you have purchased Ethena’s Harassment Prevention course, these modules are included within the course at no extra cost.
When will my Illinois learners receive this additional training on Ethena?
Illinois learners will receive this additional training on Ethena on January 1, 2023. The exception to this situation is if January 1, 2023 falls within your team’s deferral period; if this is the case, learners will receive the additional training on your next annual training date.
To see whether the assignment will go out on 1/1/23 or be deferred to your next annual training date:
- Log into your Ethena admin hub
- On the Dashboard page, locate the “Core Learning” tile for your Harassment Prevention course.
- On this tile, look for your next annual training date (red box below).
- Additionally, look to see what your current deferral period is (blue box below).
- Let’s use the below screenshot as an example. The next annual training date is February 1, 2023 (red box). The deferral period is 3 months (blue box) - because January 1, 2023 falls within the 3-month period before 2/1/23, the additional training assignment will be deferred and assigned on Feb 1st instead of Jan 1st with the rest of this team’s annual core training.
How long do learners have to complete the additional training?
Since the new training requirements went into effect on July 1, 2022, employers will need to make sure their employees complete their first round of annual training by or before June 30, 2023.
On Ethena, the training assignment will adhere to the deadline set in your system settings for your recurring core harassment training. To view this deadline:
- Click the Harassment Prevention Core Learning tile on your admin hub’s Dashboard page
- Refer to the date in the image below
- Click the “Edit” button on the top right of the page to edit your deadline for core learning (note that this deadline can only be edited prior to the training being assigned).
Do you have any language I can use to message this to my Illinois learners?
Here’s a sample message you can use to let your IL learners know this training assignment is coming soon:
Subject: New Training Requirements - Additional Ethena Training Assignment Coming Soon
This message is to let you know that on January 1, 2023 [CHANGE DATE IF THIS ASSIGNMENT WILL BE DEFERRED TO YOUR ANNUAL TRAINING DATE], you will be assigned additional sexual harassment training in Ethena for you to complete (135 minutes for managers, 75 for individual contributors).
You may be wondering, why am I receiving this training? In April 2022, the Chicago City Council made several amendments to Chicago's sexual harassment training and policy requirements for employers as part of a broader initiative to address gender-based violence and human trafficking. As a result, Chicago employers must now provide annual training as follows: 1 hour of sexual harassment prevention training to all employees, 1 additional hour of sexual harassment prevention training for supervisors/managers (for a total of 2 hours), and 1 additional hour of bystander training for all employees.
You will see the additional training in your learning center on January 1st. Please complete the training by [DATE] - if you have any questions, reach out to [CONTACT].
How can I view a list of Illinois learners to message about the upcoming training?
The best way to do this is to make a CSV export of your Illinois-based learners so that you can then fetch their email addresses.
- Head to the Team Members page
- In the filters on the left, select State: “Illinois”
- Once this is done, click the CSV file download button.
- In this CSV you can then gather all email addresses ready to send out a message letting folks know about the additional training.
What changes can I make to this assignment?
First, determine when the assignment will go out to your learners (see the “When will my Illinois learners receive this additional training on Ethena?” section above).
Changes you can make to the assignment include:
- Increasing the assignment deadline - To give learners more time to complete the assignment, you can temporarily increase your assignment deadline, e.g. to 120 days. Because this deadline change impacts any new core learning assignments that go out while the setting is in place, consider changing it just for the window when this assignment will go live (e.g. increase to 120 days on 12/30/22 and adjust back down to your regular deadline on 1/2/23).
- Editing the deferral period (found under “Content for New Learners or Role Changes” in your Harassment Prevention Core Learning tile) - If you’d like to defer this assignment to your next annual training date, you can increase the deferral period so that it includes January 1, 2023.
- Move up the annual training date - Another option to defer this assignment is to move up your next annual training date to an earlier date. Ensure that January 1, 2023 will fall into the deferral period for this annual training, and the assignment will be rolled in with your team’s full annual training.
What other requirements are there under the new law?
Check out this post from our blog for more information about the new requirements.